Inclusion at Littleton Green
Littleton Green caters for a number of children with a range of special needs.All children are valued, respected and welcomed to the school whatever their additional educational need. We will support their learning and ensure they are fully included in all school activities, making full use of externally provided facilities where appropriate.
Meet the staff
Mrs Helen Edmonds
Mrs Carol Weir
Littleton Green has been awarded Dyslexia Friendly level 1 status. Staff are trained to ensure they are meeting the needs of the children and we adopt a whole school approach to support both children and parents.
Listed below is a brief overview of the various additional programmes we currently deliver to support all learners, where appropriate. If you wish to discuss your child's support programmes please do not hesitate to get in touch with your child's class teacher, Mrs Vickers (SENCO) or Mrs Weir (SENCO Assistant).
- ELS (Early Literacy Support): a group intervention for KS1, specifically Year 1, that supports the development of early reading, phonics and writing skills.
- Speech and Language: individualised or group programmes devised by a Speech and Language Therapist who is assigned to our school. These are for children who have been referred, by the school or a medical professional, to be assessed by the S&L Therapy Sevice. These programmes can include speech sound production, language development and social skills, depending on the child's needs.
- Toe by Toe: a highly structured multi-sensory individual reading programme which is specifically designed for children diagnosed as having specific learning difficulties.
- Hornet - another highly structured programme for children with a specific diagnosis of Dyslexia.
- Fine motor skills: these skills are vital to the development of many competencies in young children. Activities focus on hand and finger strength, manipulation and eye-hand co-ordination in a variety of enjoyable ways.
- Better Reading programme: targets children who are falling behind with their reasding and aims to boost confidence and accelerate progress through 1:1 frequent sessions with a trained Teaching Assistant.
- Numbers Count:a 1:1 intervention delivered by a trained member of staff to enable children who are struggling with Numeracy to make accelerated progress. Following the 1:1 session, children may be involved in further groups sessions to consolidate learning and ensure they maintain the expected rate of progress.
- Nurture group: offers a focussed intervention strategy, which addresses barriers to learning arising from social / emotional and or behavioural difficulties, in an inclusive, supportive manner.
- Precision Teaching: addresses specific gaps in a child's knowledge by repeated, targeted teaching in short, frequent sessions. This can be used for a number of areas, including phonic sounds, reading and number facts.
- SPRINT: a support programme that targets children with social and communication needs including ASD, focussing on key skills such as eye contact, conversation skills and sharing.
We aim to keep parents informed and up to date in this area. Please see the links below.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/20783005 Dyslexia information
http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/ Dyslexia information
http://www.thejigsawgroup.org/ A registered charity run by parents and carers of people who have Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism.
http://www.snapcannock.co.uk/ A Special Needs adventure playground in Cannock.
http://www.autism.org.uk/ Information about Autism
Gifted and Talented
We aim to ensure that children who display exceptional gifts and talents are provided for. Every year, these children are identified by staff as well as their parents to enable the school to make sure that provision is in place to challenge and enrich their learning. The school works to offer a variety of enrichment activities both inside and outside of the classroom, and aims to harness and develop the gifts and talents that our children display.
Amazing effort from all children during Sport's Week at Littleton Green.
Lovely support from all of our parents.